73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Big Sleep

The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler The Big Sleep was a well written novel that unfortunately did not agree with my literary taste buds enough to warrant further stars being transferred.

This will be simple as for once I doubt I have anything of much merit or qualification to say about this book. The writing was certainly quality and there were several great one-liners. The wit of the author shone through and the plotting was on the whole neat. Yet I didn't fall in love with the world or the characters being portrayed. Perhaps I missed the depth behind them or maybe it wasn't there but I did not feel that the characters were flesh and blood. They were not so real to me.

As such all I can say in short is that I would probably prefer a more visual version of the story much as with [b:The Maltese Falcon|29999|The Maltese Falcon|Dashiell Hammett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350746388s/29999.jpg|980184] as I was unable to experience the full richness of characterisation through reading description. So again a three star rating for this book. This and nothing more...