71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Summer of the Aliens (PLAYS)

Summer Of The Aliens - Louis Nowra I did not like it on the bus, I did not like it in my house. I did not like it here or there, I did not like it anywhere...

Basically this was a play that covered a lot of issues but didn't appeal to me. And the only reason I read it was because it was on my reading list. There were a lot of things with this that turned me off. The very flippant use of coarse language (I don't agree with those strong words being weakly tossed around); the attitudes expressed toward sex; and the characters in general. No character was bad, just on the whole weak. They lacked the fibre to be honest and to commit themselves to the relationships around them.

In fact the one aspect of this play that prevented it being a one star rating was the fact that it was mildly amusing in places. It was mostly Australian style humour however and did not occupy the entire book to my grievance. Added to that was the idea prompted of who the aliens really are among society; an idea which helped explain the character's actions. However this was all a small saving grace for me.

On the whole I'm likely to forget this book. I didn't hate it. I didn't like it. I won't remember it. It was just another average story albeit one considered important in Australian literature because of its link to the Cold War. However if you don't mind Australian style plays, characters who are rather coarse in nature and want to read a piece that discusses how teenagers explore their identity you might be interested. I just wasn't because it doesn't remind me in any way of my teenage years. It was not a coming of age story that resonated with me and ultimately that affected my perception of the play. Of course I was the only person in my literature class who did not really like the play so therefore it could be simply my own perception.