71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Rebels of Journey's End

The Rebels of Journey's End - Diana Frances Bell If someone was to ask me right now to name a little known favourite childhood book I pick this. When I first picked it up it was because: a) The title sounded very cool - rebels, journey's end? b)there were talking animals in it (yes I have a fixation with talking animals in books. Take Charlotte's Web, Watership Down and The Chronicles of Narnia for examples of books I liked very much, I also like Redwall and the satirical Animal Farm to name others). It's a good, clean and wholesome story (and there are few enough of those for children or adults these days - everything seems to want to move towards sadistic entertainment or debauchery so that's why I treasure books like this all the more).

The Rebels of Journey's End is the story of a pet cat who escapes from his owner and a mouse who attempts to escape the rule of a mobster boss mouse. Together they team up against the injustice being performed in animal society (one which hides the fact they can talk from humans) by this mouse gangster. Along the way a few other animals join them in their hideout and a human girl discovers the secret of talking animals being real. They become rebels against this mouse run dictatorship which sounds rather childish but it was properly explained by the plot and as far as I remember it was decently written.

But in a world where darkness tries to enter into our lives and become part of the fabric of our entertainment - entertainment sold to us by our new mass culture - books as pure as this are rare gems. I honestly dread what the future holds for the children of the next generation over which I will be a father figure and hope that we haven't decided that the powerful truths of good versus evil are far too boring. Because in a world like that perhaps we'll end up creating fiction that's only purpose is to show us how depressingly dark life could be. And its then that we will need the child-like naivety of books like this.