74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Shift Omnibus Edition (Silo, #2) (Wool, #6-8) - Hugh Howey
Shift, as the impressive science fiction follow up to Wool, proves that Hugh Howey can write - and write well. This is a prequel, but is, in my opinion, better read after Wool in order to not destroy the unique aspects of reading Hugh Howey's first work.

I would say that together Shift and Wool appear as better versions of [b:The Maze Runner|6186357|The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)|James Dashner|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369690691s/6186357.jpg|6366642] series. Not only are they far more mature in their approach to their particular topics but they possess and infinite amount more plausibility and depth. The way in which Shift sets out the background to Wool, explaining how humanity could end up in silos is brilliant. It particularly works as an exploration of politics, weaponry, humanity's quest for self annihilation, versus the drive to survive. This stands alongside that sense of the contrast between the inner darkness versus the inner greatness of humanity.

However, the one reason this receives a four star rating is that the characters lacked in comparison to the previous novel and were not as appealing to myself as a reader. For once I'm lost for words as to how to properly review all the aspects of this novel. Perhaps fatigue has destroyed me over this week. That said, I will recommend all serious readers give this book a go after they've tried Wool. I will be seriously looking forward to the next book myself. I do love quality science fiction and while I'm lacking something to fully capture and describe about the depth and lack of superficiality or immaturity in this novel I cannot find it. The best thing to do is simply recommend that others read these books.