74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy, Tom Percival This should really fit into the three and a half stars category...

As far as children's books are concerned Skulduggery Pleasant is an interesting and different read. However as far as an older audience it lacked a little. Hopefully the few cracks I detected were mainly due to this being the opening story for the series.

There were sections where the writing was superb and brilliant. It was witty and it was fun. The opening sentence was particularly well structured and really drew me into the plot. However this brilliant wit and flair with language was patchy. That is the prose would fluctuate between being long and drawn out and short and sharp sentences. I felt the use of the short sentences and the descriptions worked best for the style Derek Landy was writing in.

The concepts of the novel: the magic, the fairytale creatures, the Will of the Elders, the book of names, the three names; are all to be praised because they reveal the imagination of the author. The humor was great and the flair at times brilliant. There were some interesting characters which I began to care about. Enough at least to keep reading and see how the series develops. And from the looks of things if the writing develops into a more fluid read I may even begin to rate subsequent novels higher.

What you would enjoy about this is the fantasy, the characters and the fight scenes. Yes the fight scenes are well done. And now I'm rambling and talking to myself. Time to end thi...