71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Graveyard Book, adult version - Neil Gaiman
Before I had picked up The Graveyard Book I was yet to find a Neil Gaiman novel I loved. His writing was always solid and interesting in [b:Neverwhere|14497|Neverwhere|Neil Gaiman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348747943s/14497.jpg|16534] and [b:Stardust|16793|Stardust|Neil Gaiman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328433738s/16793.jpg|3166179] but I didn't love those books to death like other readers. It's rather curious that this is the case because one of my favourite recent Doctor Who episodes was written by Gaiman. However I now have to look no further. This is the kind of book I was looking for.

The Graveyard Book sounded like a macabre story. It focused on a boy named Nobody raised among ghosts and by an un-dead guardian after a gruesome murder. In fact if I were to tell you that this book opens with a murder you would hardly think that it would turn out to be a charming fairytale in the end. But that is precisely what this story is: a fairytale set in a graveyard. If you've watched Once Upon a Time and enjoyed the slightly darker twist to recognisable fairytales you should enjoy this new one very much.

I fully recommend this book to anyone who still finds fairytale magic entertaining. You may not think that ghosts, ghouls and un-dead beings could cheer you up and make you almost teary eyed but this is a book that ignores what others think cannot happen and pushes ahead anyway. What Gaiman has done here that he did with Stardust and Neverwhere but that I did not capture was to create a remarkably new version of the fairytale story for a new generation.