74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Fables, Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland - Bill Willingham
So now, aside from [b:Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall|21322|Fables 1001 Nights of Snowfall (Fables)|Bill Willingham|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327870123s/21322.jpg|3163819] I can take a break from my marathon reading of the Fables series. I certainly won't be in a rush to get back into it anytime soon as there is only so many times I can read a graphic novel series (even if I did skip a book or two here - and even if they are only 2 hour reads at most).

Sadly, this particular volume was a bit of a let down for me in the scheme of things. I believe the main reason for this was that it departed from what I had always most loved and found charming in the graphic novel series: the fairytale elements. Instead, this becomes a clear attempt to tell more of a straightforward, modern fantasy story: not a fractured fairytale.

Today in my literature class we discussed how what draws us into a novel is the glamour of it. I definitely understand the sense of being enchanted by a fiction work, of being under a spell. Being drawn deeply into a work of fiction enables you to overlook the few faults it may have (or even the larger faults), it may help you to suspend disbelief and to appreciate a work that others disdain. In the case of this volume, though the writing and artwork may have been stronger than other Fable volumes, I did not find the charm or the appeal of previous editions. Not to mention that I'm beginning to wonder whether the authors are doing the typical comic book idea of continuing to write on and on though they should find a set time to end their work and begin on spin-offs instead. I can see little of what there may be left to wrap up...

Of course I leave Bill Willingham and his team open to surprise me. I would love to see the next volumes return to what it was I found so appealing originally: the mixture of devotion, passion, love and clever subtlety that went into developing these books. And at the same time they were not subtle but melodramatic and bombastic - explosive and creative. They were true art and that is what I admired. So, call me sceptical of what the future holds for this series but I may have finally had my fill and only hope that I am not disappointed when I one day return for the next entries in the series (or fix the holes in my reading).