71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Spooks Slithers Tale - Joseph Delaney
Slither's Tale is one of those most annoying of all books in a series. It is a filler novel. A novel that stands aside from the rest of the series and yet introduces ideas and characters which may be interesting later on. I would liken this novel how J.R.R Tolkien added in appendices for [b:The Lord of the Rings|33|The Lord of the Rings|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347257199s/33.jpg|3462456] to expand the story of Middle Earth. However, J.R.R Tolkien did not write an entire additional book for that purpose (though Christopher Tolkien seems quite content to edit out extra novels).

Still, for a novel which is mostly filler it was a fast and entertaining read which is why I can't quite bring myself to give this two stars. Technically the way in which Delaney wrote his story was fine as he adopted a noticeably different tone for his different protagonist. However, something was lacking emotionally in this story. Perhaps that is what you end up with if you make a blood-drinking villain your first person protagonist. Either way such a lack of emotional connection caused this book to feel slightly stilted in its prose and as such less vibrant and interesting than others in the series. Yet the book was fast and interesting enough. Barely...

The Spook's series is one I've found very interesting over the past three years, since I began it in the middle of 2011. Unlike most of the children's literature I've read in that time this series cuts back to the dark roots of the fairytale genre, because this is a fairytale world, full of fairytale monsters. As mentioned before, in this book our villain is a blood drinking creature which looks kind of like Nightcrawler from The X-Men, only with a thicker tail. And instead of teleporting he changes his shape/size. The plot follows him as he sets off to fulfil a bargain and wrestle with his inner monster. Oh, and he runs into some characters from the other books in the series - which is where I get the sense that this is a filler book.

My verdict is that unless you're someone driven to complete every series you begin I would skip this book and move onto the actual books in the series. Or go back and re-read/begin reading [b:Revenge of the Witch|298567|Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)|Joseph Delaney|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348474728s/298567.jpg|3496896] (also titled: The Spook's Apprentice). There are many better books. Though this one is a very quick and easy book to put away...