74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire - Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha, Andrew Pepoy, Gene Ha, Joshua Middleton, Inaki Miranda, Mike Allred
I'm going to come right out and say it: Fables is one of the most remarkably consistent graphic novel or comic book series that I have ever read. It has intriguing characters (characters to love, characters to hate, characters that sit idly in the background) - and it should since they were drawn from other stories, fairytales and mythology. There I would love a studio to get their hands on these and turn them into a television series or a movie franchise.

This particular volume's story focuses on the idea of launching a war against the Mundane world (our Earth) from Fableland and the pre-emptive strikes necessary. This of course follows on from what Bigby did in a secret mission in the previous volume. The Adversary and his forces therefore make several plans (which I presume will be followed up on in later novels) in regard to how to attack Fabletown and turn our world into their own personal prison world. Speaking of Bigby Wolf, this volume focuses on Bigby's family and particularly his relationship with his father. It's a fascinating analysis of the nature of relationships in a way and I found the way in which Bigby responds to his father incredibly interesting. The fact that Bigby's father is Mr North or the North Wind has always shown off the unique way in which Fables deals with the source material.

All of this goes to show that taking ideas from other sources is not necessarily a bad thing. Not when you create your own incredibly clever spin on them. And that is what Fables constantly delivers. A unique twist on old fairytales and classic stories that have become part of our shared Western mythos (and a part of the Eastern Mythology also). Fables remains a highly recommended graphic novel series to begin. It has the depth of full classic novels but with the added beauty of picture artwork.