74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days) - Jim Fern, Jimmy Palmiotti, Andrew Pepoy, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha, Bill Willingham
As far as this series go, this was a little move away from the overall story we've been looking at in the previous volumes. But as far as the stories in this volume are concerned, they were solid fractured fairytale storytelling.

The world of the Arabian Nights comes to Fabletown and bring a deadly D'jinn. At the same time Bigby's dad deals with his grandchildren and several other minor details add to the humour and mix of fun and fantasy that occurs. Of course Bigby himself does not really have a place in this volume which is a sheer disappointment as he is fast becoming my favourite character in this entire series. He's gruff, a drinker and very much like Wolverine - as you'd expect from The Big Bad Wolf.

Again, if you want a graphic novel series that moves along from strength to strength and has some of the smartest ideas on the market I recommend these. Depending on your personal taste you may be lead to think that they are 'awesome' or 'suck' but at least give them a try. They've won plenty of acclaim and are to my eyes fascinating works with fantasy themes and modern issues. Such as what happens to kids when they lose their father figure.