71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Justice League International, Vol. 1: The Signal Masters - Dan Jurgens, Aaron Lopresti, David Finch
As a graphic novel this reboot of the Justice League International series for a new audience both succeeds and fails. It's solid entertainment, the kind of thing that blockbusters are made from, but it doesn't do much for the superhero graphic novel genre in terms of providing some deep revelation about politics, society or human nature.

The basic plot is that the U.N. have created a new Justice League team, Justice League International because they want a team with visible heroes and a team they can trust. As a result Booster Gold and a team of lesser known, but powerful, heroes from across the globe are selected and placed into one team. And of course Batman, as he does, decides to throw all protocol out the door and join the team on a mission anyway.

Things go crazy, there's plenty of colourful and glossy art and everything is resolved at the end. Until the final few pages. So I'll have to read the follow up which I bought later on tonight to find out how this all continues. What I can say to anyone who is interested is that I firstly apologise for a shorter, simpler series of reviews when it comes to graphic novels. When there's a lot less to say academically then I tend to ramble on my own thoughts instead - which we all have to admit are far less interesting. Then I must secondly also apologise for overloading your feeds with graphic novels. I promise I only have two more up my sleeves.