74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Detective Comics, Vol. 1: Faces of Death - Tony S. Daniel
I'll admit that you have to stuff up pretty badly to get less than a 4 star rating for me when it comes to Batman. I just love the character and most of the artists and writers know and understand him as he deserves.

What makes Batman a great character is not just Batman or Bruce Wayne. Where Superman is made great by being Superman and balancing between saving everyone and also being Clark Kent Batman is great because of his famous rogues gallery and because of Gotham City. You don't get quite the same connection to Metropolis and Superman's villains, with the exception of Lex Luther of course.

This is part of the New 52 range, so of course there are some unique changes to the stories and ideas. I found that this contained two stories in its way. One of which was concluded at the end of the graphic novel and featured Penguin and his cronies, and the other which seemed set up for later revolutionary changes to the Joker character. Which remain to be seen - since unfortunately I couldn't find or buy the paperback follow up yet.

So, of course I haven't said too much about this. I really can't find the words to do so and I apologise for that. Chances are if you are into Batman you'll like this work. If not you probably will be a little annoyed by it all. So very much recommended to mainly Batman fans.