74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Iron Man: Extremis - Warren Ellis
After my visit to the U.S.A, I may have brought back a combined total of 12 (or so) newly purchased novels and graphic novels. There was about a 50/50 split. The reason was that of course there are so many more comic book stores in America than Australia (and they are such cool places) and also because the Harvard Bookstore is also an amazing location... Either way that was my weak attempt at a segue into mentioning that I did buy this Extremis graphic novel while overseas. And it was completely worth it.

If [b:Superman: Birthright|8172|Superman Birthright|Mark Waid|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1343584198s/8172.jpg|11126] is the best Superman story I have ever read then Extremis is the best Iron Man story I have ever read. Ignore the fact that it was partly inspirational for the whole Iron Man 3 movie concept; ignore the fact that it has some pretty grand artwork; ignore the fact that I just loved how it delved into the psychology of Iron Man and Tony Stark being one and the same. It was a combination of factors which lead to me liking this work on the whole.

The storyline of Extremis basically follows the idea of one man being turned into more than a man through biological upgrading. This 'superfreak' becomes (as you do) a man with a terrorist style agenda. I mean if I became a meta human that's what I'd do first of all...not. Anyway, the main point of this Extremis enhanced individual seems to be to contrast with Iron Man (a man who made himself more than human through a suit rather than biologically) - oh and he also exists to provide the main conflict of the plot in regards to power and responsibility. Either way there is an interesting contrast between biology and artificial technology created in the narrative of this graphic story.

And I'll stop right there because right now, any thoughts I have are caught at the very edge of my thinking and it's remarkably frustrating to try and grasp at them (not to mention that my laptop is running on 10 percent of it's power). But if you do want a great Iron Man story to read, my bet would be to go read Extremis. Maybe even read it in an extreme place or something...