74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Kill Order (Maze Runner #0.5) - James Dashner
The Kill Order is an interesting book that I felt little attachment to, which probably explains my feelings regarding the entire Maze Runner series. While the novels are all better written than your typical YA bestsellers the plots and characters often felt flat and distanced from the reader, so as a result the novels remained likeable, entertaining novels with interesting themes. That was until this particular novel.

This novel aims to present the idea (as with some of the previous novels) about the conflict and danger of trusting wholeheartedly in the goodwill and nature of governments. While I percieve that it is naive to agree that governments will never perform any evil acts (to which they must be taken into account), I believe it is also naive not to note that there are some governments which by nature are far less likely to abuse power simply because they wish to bring hell upon Earth. For instance, a dictatorial government (say North Korea) would be more likely to randomly initiate a nuclear strike in my view than a more capitalist government like the USA, Great Britain or Australia (not that we really have the weaponry to do so). Of course, again I agree with some of the recent fiction trends (include fictional films) that the USA aren't all heroic. However it is a fallacy, and that is what this novel does, to believe that any nation would be wholeheartedly evil because as I see it there always exists a level of good in any area of life. Just look into Germany during World War 2. It may be popular now to look at the Germans as the source of ultimate evil but historical research shows otherwise (ever hear of Bonhoeffer and the ten-Boom family during the wars?).

And perhaps that is what I ultimately disliked about this novel - the sort of portrayal of the government as the villains and the heroes as being the everyday stragglers of society. Maybe I'm just a little sick of the stereotypical portrayals that lack a true relevant connection to society. And maybe I'm also a little sick of standard, mediocre fiction that doesn't try something new. Maybe of course I also felt that this book was a little - just a little - repetitive and not quite up to the level of the other books in the series. It certainly was no [b:The Knife of Never Letting Go|2118745|The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)|Patrick Ness|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1277071696s/2118745.jpg|2124180] in my eyes. Whatever it was, as fiction tends to do, there was some indescribable element about this book that didn't enthral me as it could have. Maybe it's just me reading this at a specific time and being sick and a little cranky. Or maybe it is the book. Someone else will have to decide and write a much better, far more insightful review...