74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter - Russell T. Davies,  Benjamin Cook
This was an unusual book. As of recently I've been in a very Doctor Who mood and like any of my fads I read up about things related, I watch things related and I'll often do things related to that fad.

The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter is a follow up to The Writer's Tale and includes the original text along with 300 extra pages of content. So while all up it was a 700 page book it was virtually two books in one. The original book had developed as a result of an email correspondence between Russel T. Davies (the main writer of Doctor Who and executive producer at the time) and Benjamin Cook (a writer for Doctor Who Magazine) while Davies was in the process of writing and re-writing parts of Doctor Who series four.

The book provided for me a unique insight into how the episodes of Doctor Who came about for series four and moreover how a screenwriter of Davies' caliber constructs his work. Basically he states that there's no set way to write but that he believes writing is in essence the result of thinking. Curious thoughts...

Regardless of what I think of his personal and moral values I cannot deny the brilliance of some of Davies' scripts which are truly revealed in this book and what he did in bringing back Doctor Who. If you're a Doctor Who fan or plain interested in TV script writing then read this (or the shorter first book).