74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Civil War: Wolverine - Marc Guggenheim, Humberto Ramos
There are graphic novels which perfectly achieve what they set out to do. In terms of a story or artwork they may not be Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns, but they are strong for how they tell their own story. This is one of those graphic novels.

The story lines up with the events of [b:Civil War|91714|Civil War|Mark Millar|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345813608s/91714.jpg|577888], in which the world is divided into semi-fascist register-all-heroes and let-all-heroes-be-free sides. In the midst of this, Wolverine, with his typical, near-laconic, attitude, sets off on a mission against the real killer, rather than those who are being used as scapegoats.

This novel particularly highlighted the idea of Civil War I like the best, the nature of how governments and organisations will twist tragedy to their own means. Would we have the wars we have without this? Would we have such war profiteering? And would we get people being scapegoated for the sins of the governments and major officials? Sadly these seem to be questions that not enough are asking or in the right forums...