74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

X-Men: S.W.O.R.D. - No Time to Breathe - Kieron Gillen, Steven Sanders, Steve Sanders
One can only go so far before the lack of depth in a graphic novel kicks in. And unfortunately X-Men: S.W.O.R.D (which has hardly any links to the X-Men save from ex-X-man beast who looks rather horse-like in this art style) lacks any real depth. When one has already encountered great works like [b:Batman: Noel|11186443|Batman Noel|Lee Bermejo|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1341435405s/11186443.jpg|16111174] or [b:Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1|12623655|Batman Knightfall, Vol. 1 (New Edition)|Chuck Dixon|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335301972s/12623655.jpg|17670533] it's easy to understand what a truly good graphic novel/comic should appear like and it's safe to say that this S.W.O.R.D volume is not a great graphic novel.

The plot follows S.W.O.R.D's attempt to send all alien life forms on Earth back home while a bounty hunter and some Drenx warships threaten to throw everything into chaos. There's also a manipulative alien droid in the background. Which all sounds fun enough, however the way everything is handled makes for a particularly scrappy graphic novel experience. Meaning that the artwork seems rushed, the scripting seems slightly juvenile and the characters seem distorted. Normally Marvel does an excellent job of creating reasonable quality stories, however this time they have failed dismally.

The one thing saving this work from being considered a one star disaster is that it is readable on a superficial level and therefore mildly entertaining. However it is not a particularly good work and therefore little can be said about it. So, this should serve as a warning to those looking for a decent graphic novel. Stay away from this S.W.O.R.D volume and pursue the major story arcs instead. Or just watch the Marvel films, they're all pretty much quality (the new ones at least).