74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13; A Memory of Light, #2) - Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson
Towers of Midnight is the second book of three between Brandon Sanderson and the late Robert Jordan to finish off the Wheel of Time series. It can be interesting to go back and re-read a novel a year or so after last reading it to find that you didn't remember as many of the finer details as you thought. Though the large ideas had remained with me the small fine details were lost to some extent. Perhaps the fact that I read through the entire series chronologically helped me to see the finer details of character progression this time around. Or perhaps its because it feels like so many things happen in this book from Gawyn defending Egwene from Seanchan assassins, to Perrin reconciling himself with the wolf side of his nature and with the White Cloaks, to Mat rescuing Moiraine and Rand preparing for the confrontation with The Dark One...

One thing I liked in this novel that I hadn't picked up on before was the hint at the idea of looking to the future. Though all readers know that the series has been moving toward Tarmon Gai'don from the first book in this novel there was the hint (through a lovely section with Aviendha) as to thinking about what must come after the Last Battle. Though the battle must be won for the pattern and the wheel of time to continue there is the sense that in the aftermath a unified people may just repeat their past squabbles and end up caught by the wheel in an endless cycle of infighting. The idea that everything is leading up to Tarmon Gai'don leads to another idea heavily present in The Wheel of Time series - the constant references to various religions and mythologies. That said I think I'll talk more about that idea in my final review of the series...

I stand by my previous assertion that Brandon Sanderson is the stronger technical writer at work on this book. That said stylistically Robert Jordan wins the battle. Jordan's writing, while often clumsy and overly verbose, always has charming elements that have made the Wheel of Time loved by some and hated by others. Sanderson on the other hand is more relaxed and appears to work within his limits, not wanting to particularly use overly florid language save for where he does so to match Jordan's style as closely as possible. These books do not read like Robert Jordan's fully but neither are they Sanderson's. They are a great mixture of the two strengths of both authors (Jordan's world and colour with Sanderson's technique and simplistic yet energetic prose).

IF you've got this far well you should at least go the final step. Onward to Tarmon Gai'don!