74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Angel Experiment  - James Patterson
I read The Angel Experiment several years ago, back when the Maximum Ride series was first beginning. It was recommended to me by a friend and I thought that it might be a worthy imaginative children's fiction novel (what is now coming to be dominated by YA novels).

I found that again, as with other YA novels, it was a work of fiction with a strong idea yet poor execution. Now, I do love some works of fiction where the ideas are brilliant and the execution could be a touch better. For instance [b:Mistborn: The Final Empire|68428|Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)|Brandon Sanderson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312038619s/68428.jpg|66322]* as a favourite fantasy series has several areas where the plot is a touch weak and the magic fails a little. That said the execution is mostly perfect in my view, however in this book the execution errs on the side of being lazy or perhaps...more patronising for the child readers Patterson writes for.

Again, a book that I would say is fine to read, in fact it's better than some trashy novels I've read for certain. Is it amazingly brilliant? Absolutely not. In fact the latter entries become weaker and weaker as the writing becomes more patronising, romance (particularly in a YA love triangle) rears its head in a bad way and Patterson resorts to filling in his plots with ideological rambling about saving the environment and making this world a nicer place. All good things to be sure but the way he does it is preachy and takes away from the story.

*Bet you didn't expect me to link Mistborn and Maximum Ride in a review did you!