71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
I seem to be asked regularly why I give this little novel such a low rating. So here is my answer:

The major reason is that I don't care for pseudo-spiritual help books, particularly when wrapped up in layers of ideology I disagree with. Those kinds of novels have stories which exist to keep the ideology alive rather than having the story as the primary focus. I prefer to read a novel where the story is the key factor and where any ideology exists secondary or as part of the story rather than the subtle distinction of a novel where the ideology exists as the story.

I find this novel lacks in depth regardless of how I think of the type of novel it is. It has, from memory, a plot which serves as wish fulfilment and not even very interesting wish fulfilment and is overly simplistic without being unique or interesting. I think of it as being very similar (in my opinion) to [b:Jonathan Livingston Seagull|71728|Jonathan Livingston Seagull|Richard Bach|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348941691s/71728.jpg|1743336]. It's fine if you like the story but don't claim that it is something remarkably deep because I will readily argue that this novel lacks in depth. Primarily for the reason I outlined above - because the ideology of the author is the plot rather than supporting the plot.