74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11) - Robert Jordan
Knife of Dreams is one of my favourite books in The Wheel of Time series. I happen to think that it is one of the stronger books in the series, though no doubt readers who have had to trudge through three slow, plodding novels in a row would think otherwise. Indeed I would suggest that it is only the positioning of this novel which prevents it from being accepted as, if not the best work by Robert Jordan, then the second best. I find it poetic that Robert Jordan saved his best for his last completed work and for one are glad he left us with this particular volume.

The pace picks up in this particular novel, leaving behind the slow plotting of the previous books. The one slower section through the novel is the storyline centred around Perin and Faile, however since events are occurring rapidly throughout that narrative it reads easier than anything in the previous three novels. As well as the pace improving there is a range of important plot elements which reach a sense of conclusion. There are also plot points which are finally introduced into the overall narrative. These include Mat becoming married to Tuon (and I do love their relationship), Perin rescuing Faile, Rand losing his hand, Egwene undergoing penance in the White Tower and Asha'man being bonded to Aes Sedai.

If you've read this far you might as well continue on because these last couple of books (assuming the last one is good) appear to be some of the best in the series. I feel that little else needs to be said here to convince anyone to pick up or drop the series. Experience will do that for itself.