74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
As a disclaimer this is hardly a typical review but more a reflection on when I read this years ago. And also, a reflection upon mystery novels and genre authors.

I seem to have made it my unofficial goal to have one great female author in every genre that I read (and vice versa). For Tolkien I have Susanna Clarke or Catherynne M. Valente; for Asimov and Bradbury in sci-fi I seem to have Anne McCaffrey (but other female sci-fi authors are waiting to be discovered). I still need to add a male author to the classic romance authors I love such as Austen, Elliot and the Brontes but perhaps Hardy may suffice. I also need to find a female author in the genres of gothic horror fiction, westerns and historical fiction (in general I need to read more historical fiction). It is not as if I set out to find male authors to contrast female authors or female authors to contrast the men, but rather I set out to find powerful novels regardless of who wrote them.

The point of this all is that when I first read Murder on the Orient Express it was my first real taste of murder mystery fiction. A taste which led me towards the brilliance of Sherlock Holmes and other such classic mystery. In my young eyes Murder on the Orient Express was brilliantly plotted, full of twists and turns. Though Agatha Christie may be the world's biggest selling novelist of all time her work is hardly designed to be contriving, rather she seemed to set out to write a strong novel, an aim that paid off.

Since reading this Agatha Christie novel I have discovered some of her other works. All generally strong, yet some stronger than others. It is clear to me that for her entire work Christie is a marvel of the mystery genre and should be read by all mystery fans. And my encouragement would be that, as Christie appears to have set out to write the best novels she could that we as readers look to read the best fiction we can find. I'd hate to find that my reading was becoming contrived on the basis of reading too many of one particular genre or author...