73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
I read this a while ago - as in a year to two years.

If I could I'd rate it three and a half stars. I enjoyed the unique ideas and science fiction elements of the story. I did not like the writing as much as with other science fiction I have read. I didn't mind the messages and themes about war behind the novel, I felt the ending was abrupt and to be honest this novel gives me mixed emotions. I like it many ways and there are others I just have the strangest feeling about it. Some of it by far simply seemed too weird for my taste (much like Kurt Vonnegut). When going for the weird sci-fi I prefer Douglas Adams who I believe achieved what he set out to do with his style all up. Ender's Game however had mixed styles and tones which made it awkward for me.

After further thought I have realised that particularly the ending of this novel did not work for me. I found it unsubtle, a touch moralising and rather patronising to be honest. As I've debated before I do like morals in novels. However it is important to me how an author writes morals into their works. In this case I feel that Card tries too hard to impose his own views on impressionable readers rather than indicating a situation and suggesting and questioning whether what occurred was acceptable. Unfortunately many novels for children tend towards being slightly patronising, as if children are incapable of thinking for themselves and have to be guided into understanding. Whereas experience indicates to me that children are far more capable of working solutions and answers out for themselves and rather than being 'empty vessels' are more naive or impressionable. Being patronising therefore does little more than to irritate children as most readers can pick up when something has been 'dumbed down' for them

Despite my feelings, on the whole I have to admit this is a novel that deserves to be read. It is a intriguing piece of science fiction fantasy that is very readable even if - like me - you disagree with some ideas present or suggested by the text's didactic side.