71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Scarlet Pimpernel - Emmuska Orczy
They seek him here, they seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere
Is he in heaven or is he in hell?
That damned elusive Pimpernel

The Scarlet Pimpernel is a brilliant novel and fully deserves five stars pinned to its jacket for valour. I first read this astounding novel as part of a holiday classics read and helped inspire me to read more classic novels so brilliant is this novel.

Few other novels contain the same mix of drama, action, romance and sheer character conflict as the Scarlet Pimpernel. The characters are real, the language is alive and the book demands to be read from the start. The sheer ingenuity of the Pimpernel is to be admired and all his schemes make one chuckle a little. All in all this is a book that demands to be read and indeed reads almost like a historical non-fiction. You may almost believe these events happened...

Certainly things in the book are dry but it suits me. Certainly characterisation may be stilted at times. However I really liked this book and the ideas and the legend behind them. A true classic, worthy of respect.