74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Paradise Lost - John      Leonard, John Milton
Paradise Lost builds upon a tradition of epic poetry begun with the work of Homer's [b:The Iliad|1371|The Iliad|Homer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309201311s/1371.jpg|3293141] and [b:The Odyssey|1381|The Odyssey|Homer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349112871s/1381.jpg|3356006]. I have held back from fully reviewing this work for a while but I feel that I can at least provide a decent review at this stage.

I first read Paradise Lost when one of my teachers recommended it during a devotional session at school. I knew nothing about the work prior to this mention, but being the dedicated reader that I am I knew any book recommended by a teacher as being for me would likely be academic or literary. Part of me was interested in the book because of the connotation and the status of reading a complex work of fiction. Part of me was intrigued by the idea of a classic reinterpretation of the tale of The Garden of Eden.

So I read Paradise Lost and I will admit that I found it trickier than any text I had tried before. I found it trickier than the translations of Homer I recently read as though it was written in English it has a level of complexity and density to the poetry which is unique and brilliant. When I first read the poem I was blown away by the use of metaphor and other symbolism. I was stunned by the language itself, beautifully archaic and yet still relevant for modern readers. In my eyes Paradise Lost is one of the great works of all time that should be read by any serious reader. The fact that the author composed it while blind adds a little to the legend surrounding the poem but it is the poem itself which has survived across time and it is the poem which is magnificent.

I recommend reading Paradise Lost because of its status as a literary monument. Many, many texts reference it, including from memory [b:Frankenstein|18490|Frankenstein|Mary Shelley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311647465s/18490.jpg|4836639]. I recommend reading it for the beautiful language and the story, the themes of which are universally fascinating. I recommend reading it because you like the idea of reading it. Whatever reason you can devise for reading it I encourage you to find some time and read it.