74 Readers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins
First Review

I believe the time has come for me to construct a proper review of this work. I'll be honest and admit that the brilliant film inspired me to do so. I'm not ashamed of the fact that I'm a bibliophile and love a good movie adaptation. So hang onto your hats as I explain why I love The Hunger Games series...

My personal opinion as mentioned before is that there is always something special about the first novel in any series. No matter how trashy it may appear. And if I see that glimmer I will read on and see if things improve in the later books. Fortunately things did not need to improve as this magical work was brilliant on its own.

I think part of the appeal of The Hunger Games is the fact that Suzanne Collins made some smart decisions in the plot twists and developments of her world. the choice to narrate the story in first person and reveal the reality that Katniss faces in the games. The way in which she drew me in as a reader with the preparations for the games and then the games itself was astounding. The final decision made by the characters I could only partially see coming. I thought that the berries would be used again but I sort of thought as a way of killing another contestant. Admittedly that part at the end was a little rushed in the book.

I must state that when it comes to the use of present tense I liked it in the novel. I hate (unless it's meant to be a journal) reading first person narratives in past tense. It just makes me go: how the hell did you remember all that dialogue? Speaking of dialogue some have mentioned they found the dialogue one dimensional. I personally never noticed this but then again I have only read the books once.

I'm going to have to get myself a copy of these books. They are definitely one of my favourite young adult series I've read. And I've read a few. Yes obtaining the series and then re-reading is definitely on the cards.

While this may not be the best written series ever - although it is very well written on the whole - for can any book really challenge for being the best written work? It has heart and soul and as a reader it really draws you in. And I think that the enjoyment you gain from any book and the memories you take away are the most important things.

So as you've no doubt guessed I along with over 90 percent of goodreaders recommend this book and if you haven't read it and are an active goodreader where have you been? Just a question out of interest. I also highly recommend the incredible film which in my view is a pretty decent adaptation.

Second Review

The Hunger Games is actually a really smart political statement about our media dominated world. Why did I not see this before? Although I guess that makes it a sort of ironic statement since it is being published through media outlets and is making money from people's enjoyment of the violent Hunger Games inside it...

Either way I love the whole idea of how there is this world dominated by a dictator who controls the masses through showing them his power in how he can force their young children to destroy one another. We as individuals may think that we are immune to the postulations of the media but think honestly and tell me that you've never blindly accepted a statement. Have you looked into the proper scientific backing of evolution and climate change; have you analysed the motived behind the various wars and ideologies shoved in our faces via the news; and have you ever looked into the controversial topics such as euthanasia or abortion? Or do you prefer to sit and listen to the 'even handed' coverage of the media. Which to be frank is not controlled by the reporters but by the wealthy executives who have...shock and horror...agendas.

And that is what The Hunger Games portrays. A world where the wealthy prosper (they can enjoy the sadistic cruelty of the games like the Romans - and how we enjoy fictionalised violence to greater extents) and the poor are forced to hear history from their perspective. A world where rebellion is crushed by the forced execution of teenagers by teenagers. Children whose only crime is to not belong to the rich. I personally think that it's an interesting idea and one which is also entertainingly written. There are mythical motifs and interesting characters which help make the story interesting but at the end of the day it's a smart YA novel that deals sensitively with its material without being afraid to throw a few punches.