73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

A Study in Emerald - Neil Gaiman,  Jouni Koponen
This short story can be read here in a rather unique and interesting 'periodical' form.

What is A Study in Emerald? It is a mixture of two different worlds that of Sherlock Holmes and that of Lovecraft's Old Ones. Clearly from the title one can see that it is a reference to the notable classic A Study in Scarlet. In fact the very first page or so seems to almost copy that Sherlock tale word-for-word. Which leads me to question plagiarism in connection to stories like this. Many people like to pick out sentences and so forth from books and cry plagiarism. This story does pretty much that and yet clearly it's a brilliant reference to the original and the story in total is a unique product.

I won't give much away about this story as it is one of those works of fiction that if anything is spoiled, the illusion is broken. I will say that it is very short and as mentioned can be read above. It's one of those short stories I would fully recommend you attempt to read. I would also recommend this short story out of interest, as it is in a similar vein of fiction.

I particularly liked how this story mixed the two worlds. I've mentioned it before but Neil Gaiman is definitely one of the best subverters of fiction ideas, capable of taking an old myth, legend or fiction work and re-writing it in a way that is brilliant. I didn't even note, until I read on Wikipedia, that the suggestion is left out there for you that Holmes was actually the villain mentioned in this piece of writing. Very clever stuff, a short story that I'd love to analyse in a short story unit for University.