71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien, David Wyatt
I love this book. Have I mentioned before how much I love Tolkien's books? They are part of my childhood and my memories are incredibly fond of them (yes I'm a nostalgic type of person alright). The Hobbit in many ways is of all my books part of my childhood. I was certainly the first time that I entered Tolkien's world when I first read it ten years ago. So I decided to re-read this for the fifth time ever as part of a fantasy challenge and to re-familiarise myself with a story I know by heart. And what I found surprised me.

Even though I know this story so very well I was surprised to find hidden depth again. For one thing I saw Tolkien's wit shine through with some quotes. For instance in the following dialogue:

Gandalf: "Indeed for your old grandfather Took's sake, and for the sake of poor Belladonna, I will give you what you asked for."

Bilbo: "I beg your pardon, I haven't asked for anything!"

Gandalf: "Yes, you have! Twice now. My pardon. I give it you. In fact I will go so far as to send you on this adventure. Very amusing for me, very good for you and profitable too, very likely, if you ever get over it."

And that's one example out of many I noted this time around. Another thing I couldn't help but do was to compare what I read with this:

The Hobbit Trailer

I noted of course that the trailer shows a tone that hints at closer to the darkness of The Lord of the Rings and must suspect that the suggested references to Moria and the Necromancer in The Hobbit will play a larger role in the film. After all the Necromancer is Sauron. But there we go in conclusion there is an amazing film due out at the end of the year and this tale retains all of its potency and loses none of its vibrancy. If you haven't read it then 'fly you fools' to a bookshop or library and get a copy.

Appendix - again this is one of those things that's added as an afterthought and turns what I write into a second edition even though nothing's really that different.

There's a new trailer out so I thought I'd link to that in my review. I personally am anticipating this film eagerly. I want to see a different view of this book on the screen, one that's (hopefully as good or better) what Peter Jackson did with 'Rings', staying to the story and yet making it into something I can look at and go: I'd never considered that in the book! (Also I can actually watch this at cinemas as I missed out on the Lord of the Rings phenomenon as a 7, 8 and 9 year old child...)

The Hobbit Trailer 2

As for a further update I finally saw The Hobbit Part 1. I loved it and am actually surprised at the criticism being levelled against it. The 3D 48fps, while it took a few minutes to get used to, provided some of the best use of 3D in a film that I've seen without being forced. I'm very happy with what I got in the adaptation of my favoured childhood book.

I loved the casting. Of course as soon as I heard that Martin Freeman was going to be Bilbo I thought: brilliant choice. I thought the choice of actor for Thorin was great. A lot of people are saying he's different from in the book but I see a lot of the book character's traits in the film characterisation. Speaking of the book compared to the film I didn't think that they messed up the plot too much at all. The additions they made, in my view, fleshed it out with little details from the Lord of the Rings nicely (in fact almost everything in the film is consistent with the internal logic of Tolkien's world and these films - they messed with things a little less than with The Lord of the Rings films anyway). The pacing was great and in fact I thought it had a better overall pace than some of The Lord of the Rings films. It's still a Hobbit film to me, it's just also a Middle Earth film too... I guess probably the major change is in tone, but we all knew that the tone would be a mixture of comic relief and the dark seriousness of The Lord of the Rings. The film also made a smart move in adding Galadriel to provide a female character in a male dominated cast. An A plus as my favourite film of 2012 - as I thought it would be - and a strong rendition of my childhood book.