71 Readers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

A Game of Thrones  - George R.R. Martin
2-Star book review

The world building may be brilliant, the writing may be fine but ultimately there feels at times as if there is little to distinguish this novel from among fantasy novels. That is apart from the gritty nature of the book and also the fact that George R.R Martin loves to talk about body parts and kill main characters. Hang on other fantasy authors have written equally gritty novels and they also kill off main characters in similar ways. Is this book actually just a blown up version of the modern fantasy novel craze of having ambiguous characters? The characters aren't too likeable and to be honest there's not as much enjoyment in this novel as Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or even Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. So while it is well written it could be seen as standard fare and just okay.

4-Star book review

The world building and the writing in this novel were brilliant, hence revealing that fantasy can also be fine literature. This was an epic novel with an extensive character list and a plot following the scheming and machinations of seven great houses as they fight over the throne. It's clear that Martin is a fan of historical epic sagas and it appears his aim is to construct a fantasy story that stretches on in such a manner: where individual after individual takes control of the kingdom until some conclusion that ends with perhaps the total destruction of the dynasties and great houses. Who knows? I am a little worried that this series won't have a proper conclusion. The story spun here is somewhat fascinating however, even if most characters are unlikeable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all my contradicting views are there to reveal what I roughly percieve as the best and worst aspects of this book and how it could be viewed. Ultimately while I see that there are many positives in the book there are also many negatives. I liked the fact that it was a fast paced read and that I could note some noble characters. I didn't like the dominance of ignoble characters and the fact that Martin thinks he needs to create a gritty atmosphere by incredibly detailed description. There are better artisans who can create tone without that kind of description and less shock and awe. I also have to say that Martin is not the next Tolkien even though his book is so hyped up. Therefore I give it a 3-star rating and say that I have no other comment to give, any other comments can be found in the multitudes who have read this book and loved it.