71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss The Wise Man's Fear was in some aspects better than the first novel and in many ways also worse. If I were to do a brief plot of how I read the book it would be: Slow take off get about 400 pages in over a few days, then end up skipping unnecessary fairy scenes end up going another fifty pages and run into another unnecessary hundred pages of training, skip that and race through final pages going: what was that all about?

Yes to put it simply I felt that this novel could have been far shorter. One of the longest books I have read in recent times was Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell however the length of that book did not put me off in any way because as I read it I saw that most of the pages were required to properly tell the story. Here we end up with scenes where I could honestly say that if they were taken out not only would the book be 200 pages shorter or perhaps even 300 but it would still make the same amount of sense.

That said I still found the first book a far easier read from the start. The Wise Man's Fear did not have the same immediate impact from the take off and it took me fifty ages to properly get back into Kvothe's world. I'm just being brutally honest in saying this because I feel the propensity of most viewers it to be too harsh or to gushing. I would rather attempt to fall properly in between.

So as noted the book has its faults with length and time taken to read. However Patrick Rothfuss still remains as an excellent story teller and writer and his story despite a few stumbling blocks remains quality work. I particularly like the fact that Kvothe is no super hero without flaws. He acts like any stubborn, oppinionated human being and is incredibly proud. That said he is also at heart a boy trying to become a good man and he's likeable for that.

I get the popularity of this series but I still think that the third book may make or break it for me in terms of how much I will enjoy it. Because while I like the writing some things about the books haven't made me like the series as much as I could.