71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Birds, Beasts, and Relatives - Gerald Durrell
This was my personal favourite of Gerald Durrell's works that I read as a child. It is as wittily dry as [b:My Family and Other Animals|48132|My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1)|Gerald Durrell|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327885239s/48132.jpg|76682] and the prose is also as rich and lush.

Where Durrell excels, and what I remember him for, is in how he creates an entire book consisting of fragments of short stories. It really reads as an entire story chronicling his life, though many details are no doubt highly exaggerated. If you are a fan of humour, autobiographies, short stories and full novels then this is the book for you. It is a classic in my mind, a book that like the first, everyone should read.

Gerald Durrell in this book continues where he left off with his first (um, novel?) volume. The opening story, which follows a kind of foreword depicting Durrell's decision to write a sequel, is brilliantly humorous and serves to draw you into the rest of the novel. This story as I recall is about Durrell's sister attempting to lose weight medically and ending up getting involved in seances. Which all ends up brilliantly chaotic.

Since this is a book that is autobiographical in nature it tends to jump from story to story with connecting threads between them. It's really a journal that follows the life of one young naturalist as he discovers the creatures around him (including the ones he lives with and the strange friends of his siblings).

Sadly this book is currently out of print and I no longer own a copy. But no doubt there are copies floating around available for people to get their hands on. And if you do get your hands on these books they are worth it, so very worth it. The writing remains with me and the character depictions remain with me to this day. This is a book about the ordinariness and the extraordinariness of life, the adventures we go on and the characters we meet. It is one of the best autobiographical type books I have ever read and I give it the highest recommendation.