74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Preincarnate - Shaun Micallef If you only ever know of one Australian comedian/media personality Shaun Micallef would be the one I recommend that you find out about. And this is the reason why. He is a wonderful and witty comic genius and one of those few characters who genuinely puts on an eccentric personality.

I must admit that Preincarnate was quite clever and very bizarre. I think perhaps when I read it I went into it naively, like a knight without his sword and facing an imaginary dragon. I am sure that I would like it a fair amount more if I went back to it now. However, the main problem with Preincarnate is that it is not per se a fully formed novel but rather a series of insanely bizarre comic moments in a similar vein of form to Douglas Adams. The genius of Shaun Micallef is found in his changeability. He creeps up on you benignly and then without warning changes tact and pace, surprising you with something completely different. At times his humour is wacky and nutty, at times he is incredibly subtle, at other times he may resort to being politically incorrect and then again he may on the offhand play with words every now and again. On the whole he is masterfully incorrigibly funny.

I recommend this short novella for anyone wanting a laugh and a distraction from normality. If you like Shaun Micallef's work I recommend the even funnier [b:Smithereens|7871459|Smithereens|Shaun Micallef|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1295435400s/7871459.jpg|11048822] a collection of anecdotes, jokes, witticisms, short stories, humorous 'plays' and basically short snippets of Micallef's humour.