74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Star Wars: Fatal Alliance: The Old Republic (Star Wars The Old Republic) - Sean Williams
There were elements in this novel that were good, there were elements which were worse than your typical pulp novel. In the end the fact that it didn't really tie into anything else that I've read means it receives a mediocre 'okay' from me. The writing was...passable for what the novel was. It wasn't beautiful prose, it was something many people I know could have tossed up and really it was only the Star Wars title which got me reading this novel. I must admit I preferred Deceived to this novel.

What can I say about it? Is it a momentarily entertaining novel? Yes. Did it drag on for 400 pages unnecessarily? Yes it did with very little happening in those pages. Many of the longer books I've read actually utilise the 400 pages of writing to say a lot of information. This book just used those pages as padding. Was there an interesting Star Wars story? Yes and no.

The story follows a Jedi Padawan travelling to a planet to investigate some bizarre alien technology. This technology eventually turns out to be fought over by both Sith and Jedi and was some new type of droid. Those droids were cool, but to be frank they didn't feel very 'Star Wars' brand in tone much as Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles doesn't feel very 'Doctor Who'. It felt like something more from Star Trek or Stargate at times. Then the plot also goes into some very new age, surrealist moments which were odd.

I'll admit the book did cause me to remember what I love about Star Wars as an entire universe. The sheer size of it, the fact that it was part of my childhood, the good versus evil ideas and also the black and white characters marked by the sides of the Force*. Yes I love battles of good versus evil in my literature of any type as much as I love profundity and depth. This books did also remind me of how even despite the black and white nature of this universe with the force a lot of characters live in a moral grey.** Even if the Jedi who live with the grey part of the Force don't get to use force lightning. However that as more me thinking about Star Wars than the book. Maybe...90 percent me, 10 percent the book.

So what can you conclude from this? That I will read almost anything if it has a cover or title that looks appealing. Marketers are you ready with those titles, blurbs and book covers? Also, only read this if you're a die-hard Star Wars fan who loves anything Star Wars***. It's not terrible or evil if you are sort-of-a-fan but it really is not good literature.

*Oh yeah there are the catch-lines to love as well
**I remain convinced that all Jedi are Sith since they use absolutes
***Which I'm only half that in a way...I'm just a sci-fi/fantasy lover