71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Memento mori - Jonathan Nolan Memento Mori - remember your mortality.

The key topic of this short story - only twelve pages in fact - focuses around mortality. Because the main character is afflicted with a condition which causes random memory loss. Thus every action he performs could be forgotten from the funeral of his wife, to what he was doing in the hospital.

What Jonathan Nolan (yes the writer brother of Christopher Nolan who created the film Memento and so many other great clever films) conveys poignantly through a few words is a sense of loss. This is a story about what happens to a man when he must rely upon the power of others just to live. Yet what happens when you are not suffering physically and the one prison is your mind?

The power of words is exposed because of what Nolan can do with such brevity. He provides a portrait of a sort of suffering that cannot be expressed and raises questions. And I've come to feel recently that powerful stories and indeed powerful short stories are meant to raise questions. And this is a very interesting and possibly challenging short story.