73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
So, I'm going to be short and brief - or maybe I'll be brief and short - with my review of this. I haven't read this in a while but a thought came to me about what I must add for anyone who hasn't looked at this absolute classic. I read it for school and I performed in part of it for school. Many of the lines still stick with me and I guess it fostered a love of Shakespeare and an understanding all of...five years ago?

Many people claim that this is one of the classic love stories. That's rather ironic since (in classic Shakespeare fashion) pretty much all the cast die in the end - another reason I love Shakespeare, he's so optimistic! However it really is more a tragedy. A tragedy that comments on family feuds. Shakespeare was quite the social commentator, in the way that other comic media today does the same thing. Only back in his time he was one of the few available acts. Now we have so many different tv shows, movies and books feeding us conflicting ideas and information in subtle and unsubtle ways!

A tragic story commenting on love, family and other social concerns. Ultimately lots of people die and so on and so forth. Since the friar does survive however that indicates the ultimate truth of the story is this: that men of good habits live long and fruitful lives!