73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Brisingr - Christopher Paolini I realised at last that to my loss I had yet to review several key novels within my extending lists. I have already reviewed and explained my appreciation of Eldest and Eragon.

Brisingr is perhaps, in my view, the better novel of all three currently in circulation. It is certainly written with greater confidence and signs of maturity. Although do not by any means equate word count with maturity. yes Brisingr is the far larger novel of all the Inheritence books and yet is perhaps still oddly the most polished. The characters that I have appreciated the entire series are still there, the magic still exists and the strange creatures of Eragon's world are still in abundance.

So what's changed? It appears that Paolini's writing has become more eloquently expressed throughout this novel. I mentioned above confidence, that now having established his premise he can feel free as a storyteller to branch out his world and delve into the character's emotions; to explore the minutiae of his realm; to witness such things as the rise of a god perhaps. In short the author has figured out how to better evoke the emotional aspects of his world and thus create a more realistic piece. You begin to believe in his world. Couple this innovation with such revolutionary aspects as the exploration of dragon hearts and you can experience another part of the Alagaesia tale. This time with greater depth and polish.