74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Furies of Calderon (The Codex Alera, #1) - Jim Butcher
So...imagine you take Roman people, customs and building designs and then insert them in a magical world of strange creatures and savages. Then say you give every 'Roman' the ability to summon elemental spirits called Furies to 'craft' fire, water, earth, air, wood and metal. That's more or less what this book is.

I had read Furies of Calderon before and not enjoyed it anywhere near as much as I did now. I think the type of fantasy had to grow on me. It was sort of G.R.R Martin in parts, sort of Wheel of Time in others and all unique. The story follows several parallel plotlines centred around a courier for the King of the land, a boy named Tavi who is furyless and his aunt and uncle. The basic plot involves treachery and invasion threat through savages.

It's a well told story, in fact I would venture to argue that it's better written and told than the initial Dresden Files novel. Which is my only reference point for Jim Butcher's writing. If you're a fan of epic fantasy and liked Storm Front you'll likely enjoy this. All in all, definitely worth a read!