74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller - Italo Calvino
You are about to read the review of On a Winter's Night A Traveller by Jonathan Terrington. You look at the review but it is not what you expect. You then think some deep thoughts about the world, are constantly addressed as You and wonder what on earth just happened....

This is the response I had to If On a Winter's Night A Traveller which is perhaps one of the most bizarre books I have read. I don't know if it was actually as smart as it seemed to think it was but I liked it still despite many aspects of the book that just seemed like the author's way of putting himself up on a pedestal and yelling "LOOK HOW GREAT I AM!" Anyway I liked this book, reader.

If On a Winter's Night A Traveller is very metafictional and metaphorical. Which is probably why I liked it. I love a book that references other books even if those books and tales are created within the book I was reading. Which is what happens here with this book. The story follows You, the reader, as You meet the Other Reader and pursue her across various novels you read (and which seem to have a female character reminiscent of her). This all works from a male reader's perspective but I did have to wonder what female readers would think being placed into a masculine point of view. That said it was a unique read and somewhat entertaining to me.

If on a winter's night a traveller
Outside the town of Malbork
Leaning from the steep slope
Without fear of wind or vertigo
Looks down in the gathering shadow
In a network of lines that enlace
In a network of lines that intersect
On the carpet of leaves illuminated by the moon
Around an empty grave
What story down there awaits its end?

By now reader you shall have reached the end. You will likely either ignore the review or push the 'like' button. Perhaps you will leave a comment or two for the reviewer. Perhaps you will simply like the review. And perhaps if the reviewer is fortunate you will like the review enough to give the book a chance. Then when you read If On a Winter's Night A Traveller other readers will ask what you are reading and you will say If On a Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino.