74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Brightest Day, Vol. 2 - Geoff Johns, Peter J. Tomasi, Ivan Reis, Patrick Gleason, Ardian Syaf, Scott Clark, Joe Prado
I recently came to the conclusion (oddly enough while reading Genre) that I read very much within genres. That is to say that when I read a book something in me subconsciously classes it into a type of book. That is not to say that I don't accept the shifting nature of such genres it is simply that I do very much fix a general genre upon a book when I read it. And in many ways when I rate a YA book 5 and then a classic literary novel 3 what I am subconsciously doing is admiting that within the broad YA genre that book is among the very best while the classic is among those that I like but do not love excessively. So for me this graphic novel is a graphic novel that I like but do not love enough to rate four stars unlike the first in this Brightest Day trilogy.

This second volume certainly has glossy artwork (the inner twelve year old always goes 'ooooh shiny pictures' for such art) again but it is let down by the storytelling. It feels very much like a bridge volume. A story that is there mainly to help you get from the first volume to the third and does little else to add to the story except for a few characters and enhancing a few of the previous characters' story threads. And on top of that the story ended with a sudden and major rush and a cliff-hanger (which I would hate except that I have volume three beside me fresh from the library - well fresh since yesterday)

Either way my conclusion is that this is a solid and decent enough graphic novel for the Brightest Day story arc but it does little on its own. It serves very much as a bridge from 1 to 3 and did not develop the story very much. However the glossy artwork and use of various characters created enough interest in the book to make me like it even if I did not love it. I now have big expectations from the third volume and if it does not deliver I will a)destroy something, b)destroy something else and c)destroy the first something again probably throw a kind of rant about how let down I feel. Look out for it.