74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Mortal Engines - Philip Reeve
Mortal Engines as a series is a master-class in inventive YA science fiction. There are very few series where I can state that the last novel is my favourite in full honesty. Often I will read a series and the last novel will bring it all to a painful or awkward close. Which is what I am hoping will not happen with The Wheel of Time and the last Obernewtyn book. I do know for a fact that this is not what happened here.

The world of Mortal Engines is dominated by Municipal Darwinism. This is the idea used to promote and state that the city-eat-city mentality is acceptable. So, you're saying, city-eat-city, is that a metaphor? Well not in this work of speculative fiction.

In Philip Reeve's post-apocalyptic world cities literally eat one another. They move on tractor treads and few people ever touch the ground. Tom, the main protagonist certainly had never touched ground until Hester Shaw knocked him off London. Well she was trying to escape her failed attempt to kill one of London's dignitaries and a kind of zombie robot. And so begins one intriguing and interesting journey for Tom and Hester as they try and stop a plot brewing on London itself.

If you enter this series you will find technological discoveries, swords, guns, explosions, fireworks, loads of zombie robot machines and intriguing and zany characters of all racial types and genders. It's a brilliant series and one I would love to have on my bookshelf to own.