74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Watchmen - Alan Moore,  Dave Gibbons I refuse to let the hype of this novel influence me. And so here is my statement about the book in one sentence: I liked the story but the philosophy behind the novel I did not like.

Watchmen - many people know the idea behind the title 'Who will watch the Watchmen' - but not everyone has read this acclaimed novel. As the title suggests it is a graphic novel that deals with the idea of who exists to watch the superheroes if they go out of control. And really, part of my problem with reading this novel is that when a hero goes out of control you get a villain. I don't subscribe to the idea of the anti-hero like many people. I believe in absolutes and as such I think that the hero is the character who performs more good than he does evil.

In the end of this novel the whole idea of what Watchmen is really trying to convey wraps together. It's really about psychological conflict, about Nihilism and about the Jungian shadow. Many psychological theories I do not subscribe to but find useful to use as discussion points. Because I do not believe that the world is all full of darkness and evil when you strip it down as Watchmen appears to portray. I believe that there is much evil in life but that there is also hope and light for anyone to see.

I did not like either the idea that perhaps in order to create greater good we must compromise. But then I suppose that was the whole point of the novel. The novel was full of compromise made by these super men who are really very human in morality. As Rorschach* says "No, never compromise."

Of course it could simply be the spirit within me that says 'I dislike non Justice League DC comics on the whole.' After all for me while Marvel make few brilliant comics for me to enjoy I do rate them still highly due to the overall story telling in them. DC just don't have the fun of Marvel - they're too dark and gloomy except when the Joker plays with Batman or Superman battles a few enemies. On that note Marvel reigns supreme and The Avengers is one of the greatest films of all.

*Named after the blot test and definitely the most interesting character in the comics as a violent vigilante