74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Across the Universe - Beth Revis An interesting YA science fiction which I felt again tried to play the romantic element as a draw-card and yet seemed remarkably devoid of any real tension. Like many other YA novels I've read I felt that on the whole while the ideas were good it lacked the real sparkle for me which the best works of fiction have contained.

The plot follows two different first-person perspectives. The first character is that of Amy, a girl placed into a cryogenic sleep and placed on a ship travelling 250 years toward a distant planet. The second character goes by the name of Elder, a sixteen year old boy learning to become the leader of that ship some two hundred or more years after Amy was first frozen. Basically what happens is that Amy ends up unexpectedly defrosted by a suspected murderer and the ensuing disturbance she generates reveals the mountain of secrets the ship in space is built upon.

The premise was certainly interesting and it was highly entertaining reading. However it was also highly forgettable. This is a novel which did not stand out and scream remember me. Perhaps it was the similarity to other novels and the fact that there seemed at times far too many secrets controlling the destiny of the ship. Perhaps it was the unsatisfying ending, although I have liked books before with endings that left me heartbroken and sorrowful. There was some element about this book nonetheless which did not grab me and demand that I keep it's memory inside my heart. Or head. I think you actually store memories in your head now that I think of it.

Would I still recommend this to YA readers? Of course. Just don't expect another Hunger Games toned read or something that will blow you away. It's a solid enough book with some excellent concepts The emotion controlling drugs were interesting but it lacks - for me - powerful X-factor. And the plot twists were often predictable despite being well told/described by the narrators. So read this if you want a space romance novel focusing on ideas of control systems.