74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Broken Sword - Poul Anderson The Broken Sword is a imagined mythology by Poul Anderson in the Norse style. It features poetry and adopts the style of the Norse myths I loved as a child. For that very reason I give it a four star rating and only because of the tragic nature of its plot do I avoid giving it the full five stars.

This is an excellent introduction for anyone interested in looking at the style of Norse mythology. I admit it's not perfect but Anderson apes the traditional Norse style very well while also creating an intriguing story.

The story follows Scafloc as he grows up as the foster child of elves, and his changeling Valgard who has taken Scafloc's identity in his true human family. The story seems doomed to be a tragedy from the outset and does not disappoint in that regard. What follows is however also a unique new Norse style myth featuring a few extra characters such as Irish gods and even a faun. (Of course I think it needed the gods to be involved more - lazy blokes that they are). There was also an interesting minor subplot involving the conflict between Christianity and paganism/faerie which naturally interested me.

I fully recommend this as a book to read if you don't mind a heavy Norse mythological style tragedy (it's a great and nobler genre - okay I confess that I may be stretching the truth a little there). Either way it's a good fantasy novel worth to be considered a classic. I won't be coming back to this in a hurry although I am now interested in seeing if Poul Anderson wrote any even better novels.