74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Crisis on Multiple Earths, Vol. 1 - Gardner F. Fox, Mike Sekowsky, Bernard Sachs, Sid Greene As far as graphic novels go this can be passed over fairly comfortably as a blast from the past that should remain extinct. Sadly in many ways the old DC comics with their villains like The Fiddler and gimmicky twists like earth-1, earth-2 and earth-3 were not well made unlike their opposite numbers in the Marvel original Spiderman and . This does nothing to help the idea that comics can be serious but rather went all out to be stupid. And it's not even a fun kind of stupid but rather a dull and insipid product. I don't even know what kids back in the 60s would have thought...

The multiverse idea works in many ways when done through smart writing and nice artwork. Unfortunately the artwork here and plotting cannot match some finer pieces from the past in any way. It comes across as a rushed idea that looks appealing but lacks substance. Story and character was obviously put aside for trying to make it look good but that doesn't cut it with many audiences unfortunately.

When compared to similar era comics this was a waste of time. I'm disappointed by the effort put in by the creative team all round and must say it appeared to be a mere attempt to cash in on a market for children who could not get enough of comic heroes. And unfortunately as a result the artistic composition is too disappointing.