71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Maze Runner - James Dashner There are a lot of positives and negatives in the first Maze Runner novel. Compared to later books characters are sketchy and at times slightly wooden. Also explanations for what on earth is really going on lacks. However its entertaining enough to be likeable. However I do not think this book on its own deserves the hype and comparisons to The Hunger Games. I write this in particular after completing the entire series. The Hunger Games may have been slightly unfulfilling at the end but the Maze Runner trilogy was even more unfulfilling.

The whole premise of the book focuses around boys trying to figure out how to escape a giant maze. The boys have been put into a glade and the maze surrounds them. During the night they cannot risk being out in the maze because of the monstrous creatures which could kill them. So the maze runners become important. Boys who can race through the maze fast enough to get back before the gates close on them.

As I said it has interesting ideas but lacks character and true motivation at times. Still I fully enjoyed it and it is nice to read a book which unpretentiously is as it claims to be. A fun flighty sci-fi aimed at a YA audience.