74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

JLA Classified, Vol. 1: Ultramarine Corps - Grant Morrison, Ed McGuinness, Val Semeiks, Dexter Vines A rather average Justice League graphic work featuring two seperate stories. One unfortunately with the blue energy Superman (which I've never been a fan of) and the WILD.C.A.T.S and the other featuring the Ultramarine Corps, the proper Justice League and two universes.

My main problem with this was that it had too many elements which just felt as if they were rushed together. It was as if the creative team (which is a fine creative team may I mention) had grabbed a whole ton of elements and smashed them together into their story. Now I love super-heroic powers, colourful explosions, a vicious villain (Gorilla Grodd is as evil as gorillas come - he eats his enemies after all) and multiple universes as much as the next guy. But it felt as if all those elements were there as the story rather than acting as secondary to the story and helping to propel the story along. It felt as if the creative team went: 'we have no real plot so let's just add a bunch of concepts together and make them tell our story.'

Now comic books are allowed to have some weird ideas but they need a story also and sadly this lacked it. I much preferred the concept of Red Son and its Russian Superman. So this recieves two stars merely because of the colourful artwork which made Superman, The Flash, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter look their best. And I must say that the Justice League Heroes definitely have some of the best superhero costumes although I prefer Marvel comics for their more structured universes. This is about as recommended as poor quality junk food is recommended for your diet by dieticians. As such I'd say it's probably one to avoid.