74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor I had very little idea of what to expect from this novel and I certainly did not expect what I found. It was a very, very fun reading experience. I'm going to start right here and say that anyone who is into YA fiction and fantasy should read this book.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is, to describe it, essentially a grown up fairytale romance. I feel that were I to say too much and add to the hype surrounding the story then it would spoil its enchantment for any future readers. I will suffice to say that it has interesting magical abilities and features a unique take on the angel and demon.

I will instead try and describe what I thought about the writing. I just want to to give my best indication of why anyone reading this who is yet to touch this book should give it a go. I feel that were I to touch on any other aspects of the book in depth (the wishes, the forbidden love, the war between the angels and seraphs) that I would ruin the story.

I found the writing to be of a decent standard. There were a few times when I noted that a phrase seemed a little choppy for the overall narrative, an issue of grammar that is common in many early novels in series I have found. Often while trying to properly ground themselves they stumble a little with finding the proper uniform style and so occasional little stumbles can be found if anyone is looking for them or just so happens to have a keen eye. However on the whole it was a well written and well polished novel with most errors happening in the first parts of the book, the stages where it was warming up.

In fact the first half of the book was weaker to me than the second half. I don't know whether it was simply the mundane nature of reading about the life in Prague of the female character for me with less hints of the magical side of things or whether the novel simply needed to warm up but it seemed more lukewarm. As a result I felt the first half was a solid four stars and the second half was closer to 4 and a half to 5 stars.

That said and done it is a book that is well worth reading. Ignore any hype, try and learn as little as possible about the book and just read it with the expectation that any plot could be inside. Any solid plot focused around a good YA fantasy fairytale.