71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan A fun, whimsical children's novel that is let down in that it does not measure up to Rick Riordan's much finer work with the world of Greek and Roman demigods. As such it is not the book itself that is average but rather it feels like it should be at a higher The Lightning Thief type of standard.

I did enjoy some of the ideas in this book but at time they seemed rather frantic and less organised than in Riordan's other novels. There was a lot of information about the Egyptian gods which was fascinating and also about the Ancient Egyptian myths and culture. I guess what I really missed was the idea of the ancient world meeting the modern world. It felt at times like the narrative was set too much in a semi-Ancient realm rather than the old gods in a new modern culture feel of the Percy Jackson series. Which by the hand is referenced several times with a mention of Manhattan's gods.

The two protagonists were likeable but the nature of their squabbling grated on my nerves after a while. A fair portion of the dialogue also at times seemed fragmented or staged rather than fluid and organic. That said if we keep in mind this is a children's book solely I think it works for them. It has a unique adventure which was fun, flighty and full of energy. If I'd met this as a child I would have formed a more personal attachment for sure.

So while this may not be a great work that translates for adults also like with the gods of Olympus books it is a decent enough read. I do recommend it if just for the ideas and history featured within the book. Just don't expect the lofty standards of his other novels.