74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Batman: Noel - Lee Bermejo I don't normally give graphic novels five stars. Those which are near among the best for me often receive four stars at most. However this was so superiorly superb that I had to give it five stars.

The storyline was a clever twist on the typical Batman storyline. It featured an overlying narration of the story of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol (It seemed like it was from The Joker in the end), tying the story into the Batman plot. Catwoman, Superman and The Joker become the three spirits set to show Batman/Scrooge the error of his ways. This narration aided what could have otherwise been a simple story of Batman chasing the Joker at Christmas time in Gotham and turned it into something great.

The novel had the perfect tone for a Batman graphic novel. It captured the constant struggle Batman faces to not cross the line and kill or to merely use other innocent people as pawns perfectly. It further addressed the sometimes heartless attitude and stance he takes on crime in a way that was simply brilliant. And the artwork was I'm going to say THE BEST I'VE SEEN FOR A SUPERHERO GRAPHIC NOVEL. It was amazing with the tones and shades and the other nuances of colour. It provided such a gothic feel to this graphic work which enhanced it beyond other great graphic novel works.

Others may disagree but I found this 'retelling' of The Christmas Carol story intelligent and thoughtful. The artwork complimented the Dickensian tone and also provided the gothic Batman feel to let me know that it really was a rejuvenated Batman novel and not just a gimmicky artwork book. All I can say is that I enjoyed it a lot.