71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Ariel - Sylvia Plath Ariel is an interesting work of poetry. I find Sylvia Plath's style interesting and she definitely ranks highly among poets yet I found myself caring little for many of the works in Ariel and loving many of the others.

My personal favourites are The Arrival of the Bee Box, Daddy, and Fever 103,. They all best express the factors of Plath's poetry to me which I think is brilliant and also sad. That is the sense of longing, entrapment and desire. A sense which appeared to plague her throughout her life. She suffered depression and these works were published after her suicide which is part of the tragedy of them. It would appear however that Plath was therefore a great poet in her ability to express the true underlying sorrows of her heart in her simple and at times raw work.

I would warn however against reading these in sucession as the topis they embrace becomes tedious. In fact I will not read them in a row again myself as I did. They evoke far too much of a melancholy attitude and one which is generally absent from my bubbly persona. Yet they are definitely works of fine literary merit if not highly uplifting ones and I recommend anyone interested seriously in classic poetry read them.